Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for Review - A to Z Challenge

Warning: possible spoilers ahead.


Warning: possible opinions that may differ from yours ahead.

Warning: ...ah, screw it. You get the point.

I gave myself permission to read a book. YEAH! 

First, I saw the movie trailer for Something Borrowed. Yikes. The guy who plays Dex is hot! I don't even know who that is but I really don't care.

Moving on.

During the trailer it says 'From the best selling novel by Emily Giffin'.

Really? I like best selling novels!

So, I purchased the e-book (Thank You Wendy Tyler Ryan!) from Amazon and I finished reading it yesterday.

I won't really go into detail, for those of you who want to read it and/or watch the movie, but I can easily tell by the trailer that this movie does not follow the book...at all.

As for the story, I liked it. The romance was sweet, the characters were realistic and it had a good sense of humor.

So many of the main character's realizations and childhood memories hit home with me.

There were quite a few moral and ethical dilemmas in the book but I'm not opening that can of worms in this post. 

But...I wasn't fond of the ending. I thought it was missing something. Something big. It left me with a lot of questions. I checked twice to see if the last chapter even downloaded.

It was just strange.

It makes you wonder though, what about her book caused an agent/publisher to sit up and take notice? What about her book made someone say, this would make a great movie?

I do think the movie will be good. It's got an excellent cast. But, I'm not sure they should call it by the same name when the screenwriters took such liberties with it.

I'd go watch it just to ogle the hot guy and to see how they end the movie compared to the book.

Well, that's my review. I don't do 'stars' so I will just say that I'm glad, for a number of reasons, that I read it.

11 comments:

  1. I started to read it a while back - I was uncomfortable with the situation. I guess that means it was well-written. You've really piqued my curiousity about the ending! And I think the movie is playing up the coldness of the bride. Could you tell me how it ends? (maybe on my blog or email, not to totally spoil it for your readers =)

    As for book to movie - isn't that odd how some get lucky? I have another one I'll tell you about...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet, thanks for the heads up! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been contemplating whether I want to add this to my TRB list. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it wasn't just me! I read the book about 8 months ago under my sister''s insistance and was "what the ___" when I got to the end. Won't say anymore to ruin it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the book but now I want to. As for the movie, I definitely want to see it... Kate Hudson is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this book yet either. I must get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me know, if you guys decide to read it, if any of you felt the way baygirl32 and I did about the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for piquing my interest on this now I need to go buy another book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Josh - You could probably get it at the library! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read the book, don't know anything about the movie, but after reading our review, I hope they change the ending.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.