Thursday, November 4, 2010

Give it to me straight!

A giant 'THANK YOU' goes out to Christine Bell for critiquing the first two chapters of my current story.

Considering her epic life right now, with her second book in her series released and more on the way, it was really great of her to take the time out to help me.

And help me she did.
She gave me a lot of great ideas and advice in a very considerate and professional manner.

Sure, she ripped me up one side and down the other, but I deserved it. I'm sure the skin will grow back soon.

Then she did something REALLY evil.
She challenged me. 

Yeah, like a dare.

Dare: to have the courage to contend against, venture, or try.

Oh! That is just TOO much!

So, after I kicked myself for a while, had a little sniffle and then had a brief flogging session, I decided to get back to work.

There are now sticky notes all over my laptop to remind me of just a handful of things.
Things that I should always remember. 
Things that I should work harder at.
Things that I should avoid.
And to get up now and then to pee.

DAMN! My own book is kicking my ass, and I'm only on page four!! 

Brief tangent: I went to the library this afternoon. While I was perusing the shelves I came across this book.  Thanks, but this isn't for us: a (sort of) compassionate guide to why your writing is being rejected by Jessica Page Morrell.

Thought I would give it a look and see if I can steal any more important tidbits for my crazy sticky notes of wisdom. 

Tangent over: point being...I'm not going to give up. 
I'm going to keep trying.
I will never write the way Christine does.
I will never write the way my favorite authors do.
That is not my voice.
But right now, my voice is being lazy.
Sure, the words are getting down on paper (so to speak), but they aren't the best words that I know I can write.

"If those are my last words, I can do better." F. Mulder

3 comments:

  1. aw its good to have honest pple helping isnt it? good luck with your wip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather! I think your voice is lovely, and you're right, it won't sound like anyone elses and that's a good thing. It's been really great getting to chat and it's always awesome to have other writers to bounce ideas off of and get different perspectives. I'm very lucky to have a great crit group on my ass at all times to keep me on my toes! Writing is so personal and such a part of us, so a lot of times it does sting at first. And one of our members makes my crits look soft(HI LISA!!!)but I know I wouldn't trade it for the world because they make me analyze my writing constantly and that's key because I never want to just "phone it in", and the constant dialogue ensures that I'm always thinking about it, even if I don't take every suggestion. I look forward to reading your first release soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne - Let me tell you, honest people is all that I have found since I have joined all of your blogs. I feel a part of a community that inspires me. Thank you.

    Christine - You are one classy lady. I have learned so much from you in the last few days. It's not just what you tell me but how you tell me. I can't wait to meet your challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.