Saturday, October 16, 2010

Stuck...in...molasses...

I haven't written a word in days.
And I can tell already that it's almost that 'time of year'.
The time of year when I've got too much crap to do and not enough time to write.
I've got multiple fundraisers going on, one for October, one for November and one for December. They take up a lot of time with booking and advertising.

If I squint, I can just see the holidays coming up in the distance.
Once Halloween hits, my favorite holiday, it's all down hill from there.

But, there is this one part I look forward to every year.

In our home we do celebrate the commercial version of Christmas.
We decorate the house and trim the tree. We sing songs and have great dinners with our family.
We open presents and watch football.
Done.

The one moment that is all mine. 

Everyone has gone to bed and the house is dark and quiet. I pour one last cup of coffee and curl up on the couch with a fuzzy blanket. Within moments one of the cats is looking for a comfy spot on my lap.
I turn the Christmas tree back on.
The Douglas Fir is filled with small white lights and it makes the whole room shine. Each lovingly remembered ornament sparkles in the soft light.

For me, it's like turning on peace.

3 comments:

  1. Hey at least commercial xmas has its uses. You make me want to fast forward to xmas already. I'm not sure we will have a tree this year :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. You just wrote something wonderful. You made me, who doesn't celebrate Christmas at all, want to go back to my childhood and experience the peace you described.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna - Growing up we only had a fake tree. Now I insist on a real one even when we are broke. Don't rush us too soon. I'm not ready for December yet!

    L.A. - I'm so glad you feel that way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message after the beep.